What vegetables have seeds. Mostly all the vegetables possess seeds. Some of them are produced in pods, while some exist inside the vegetable edible portion.
What vegetables have seeds
Let’s discuss the seed producing vegetables.
- Botanical name- Pisum sativum
- Family- Fabaceae
- Plant type- annual plant
- Seeds- seeds are small, round, and green in color
- Life cycle of the plant- one year
- Favorable season- winter to early summer
- Average weight of pea- 0.1 and 0.36 gram
- Height of plant- they may reach up to 2 meters (3 ft. 3 into 6 ft. 7 in) high.
- They are climbing vines and possess pods that contain the seeds.
- The seeds are edible and also cooked in a variety of dishes.
- The pea plant can be grown in poor soil, the bacteria within their root nodules fix nitrogen in the soil. By this way they make the soil fertile.
- Peas are planted on lands that require nitrogen fixation.
- Sweet pea (Lathyrus odoratus) is a seeding plant that produces spherical round shape green seeds.
- They can grow up to a height of three meters.
- The flowers start to bloom From June to August.
- The flowers are delicate, red, pink, or white.
- Another unique feature includes a fragrant exudate released from the plant.
- full sun with shelter
- regular fertilizers
- proper watering
They are warm-seasoned vegetables with transparent seeds that originate from the regions of India.
- Botanical name– Cucumis sativus
- Family- Cucurbitaceae
- Plant type– creeping vine
- Burp less is a hybrid cucumber that requires 62 days to harvest.
- Fanfare is a compact hybrid long green slicing that is resistant to plant diseases.
- Carolina, a medium-sized cucumber that is dwarf in nature.
- Roots– Cucumbers possess shallow roots, and require plenty of moisture.
- Peppers are tender vegetables that contain small white numerous seeds.
- They are planted in the warm season.
- Peppers are native to Mexico, Central and South America.
- These multi-purpose pepper plants belong to the family of Solanaceae. They come in various shapes, colors and sizes.
- Mostly available in green, yellow and red color.
- Bell pepper
- Sweet pepper
- Hot peppers
Bell peppers comprises of other cultivars including;
- Bell boy pepper
- Lady bell peppers
Hot peppers consist of various varieties including;
- Red chili
- They require well-draining soil.
- Fertile soil
- Ample moisture
- Full sunlight
- It’s a perennial plant that is often planted as an annual plant in temperate zones. It possesses a pod-like structure with numerous small white seeds.
- Biological/ Scientific name– Abelmoschus esculentus
- Other local names-okra pods, ochre, lady’s fingers, gumbo, okro, kopi Arab, and bhindi.
- Family- Malvaceae
- Favorable zones– zones 6 – 11 (zone 5 requires intense care).
- Length of the plant– 2m (6.6ft.)
- They are cultivated almost in every warm and temperate region.
- Flowers-white to yellow petals
- Leaves –long and broad/ contain five-seven palmate lobes
- Fruit– The plant bears green pods with white seeds. The pods are 18cm in length.
- Seeds-They possess an inside pentagon comprising numerous okra seeds.
- Botanical name– Solanum melongena
- Family– Solanaceae
- Vegetable – purple colored cold-seasoned vegetable
- Immature vegetable– white color
- Seeds- possess soft and barely visible seeds
- Native– Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bangladesh
The eggplant possesses various varieties based on their shape.
- large oval-shaped
- elongated shaped
- small oval-shaped
- Require a nitrogen-based fertilizer
- Plenty of moisture
- Hot conditions
- Full sunlight
Eggplant Pests and Diseases
- flea beetles
- verticillium wilt
- Botanical name– Solanum lycopersicum
- Family- Solanaceae
- Plant type– perennial plant
- Favorable season– summers
- Varieties-It contains numerous cultivars based on shapes, sizes and colors.
- Origin- South America
Tomatoes plants are classified into two categories;
These tomato plants develop clusters of flowers that affect the plant growth vertically.
These tomato plants possess lateral flower clusters that stop the horizontal growth of the plant.