What type of flowers do hummingbirds like. Various types of flowers attract hummingbirds. They may include perennial, biennial, and annual flowering plants with bright, lovely, and unique-shaped flowers.
What type of flowers do hummingbirds like
A list of flowers that attract hummingbirds like a magnet attracts metals.
|Common Name||Latin Name|
|Flowering tobacco||Nicotiana alata|
|Scarlet sage||Salvia splendens|
|Scarlet trumpet honeysuckle||Lonicera sempervirens|
The digital flowers attract the hummingbirds.
- Scientific name- Digitalis purpurea
- Common name- foxglove
- Kingdom-Plantae – Plants
- Family- Plantaginaceae
- Life Cycle- herbaceous biennial
- Other varieties may be short-term perennials.
- Flowers– red, pink, white, yellow, and purple
- It is an herbaceous flowering plant that attracts hummingbirds.
- The reason for the attraction is their large prominent flowers.
- Scientific name- Lilium
- Common name- Lilly
- Kingdom-Plantae – Plants
- Family- Liliaceae
- Height- 2–6 ft. (60–180 cm).
- Flowers– whites, yellows, oranges, pinks, reds, and purples.
The plant possesses full spikes that make them attractive to hummingbirds. It acts like a magnet for hummingbirds, butterflies, and other pollinators.
- Botanical name- Monarda didyma
- Common name-Bee Balm
- Flowers-two to four feet tall
- USDA Zones: 4 to 9
- Color Varieties– Red, but purple and orange
- Sun Exposure-Full sun to part shade
- Soil Needs: Rich, medium to wet soil
Lobelia is a perennial plant that gives rise to long stalks of flowers that attain a height of four feet. Its lovely red blossoms attract pollinators including, hummingbirds.
- Botanical name-Lobelia cardinals
- Common name-cardinal flowers
- USDA Growing Zones: 3 to 9
- Plant– short-lived perennial
- Color Varieties- Scarlet red, white
- Sun Exposure– Full sun to part shade
- Soil Needs-Rich, damp and well-draining soil
It provides Tall spikes of small and delicate flowers. These flowers make salvia great plants for attracting various pollinators like hummingbirds.
They are grown in the backs and centers of flowerbeds to attract hummingbirds.
Perennial flowers of salvia start to emerge in mid-summer.
The blooming season lasts till late summer. If you keep the soil moist, it will help them to bloom in a repeated sequence.
- Botanical name- Salvia nemorosa/Salvia greggii
- Common name-Salvia
- Height-18 to 36 inches tall
- Plant type- annual and perennial species
- USDA Growing Zones– 4 to 11
- Color Varieties– Mauve, pink, purple, blue
- Sun Exposure– Full sunlight
- Soil Needs– Dry to medium damp, well-drained soil
Black-Eyed Susan Vine
- The name indicates its intensely colored flowers with a deep black eye in the center.
- They are also from a family of climbing plants.
- Black-eyed Susan (Thunbergia alata) is unique and loved by most people for its heart-shaped leaves.
- Height-They can reach up to a height of two meters.
- Sun Exposure– Full sunlight, warm place
- Soil Needs-Dry to medium damp, well-drained soil
- Water needs–Provide adequate watering
- (Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris) known as climbing hydrangea is a climber that covers a large area.
- It is considered a flowering delight to hummingbirds.
- Due to a wide range of varieties, the hydrangea is a universally popular garden climber.
- Height-It reached up to 15 meters high
- Sun Exposure– a warm place
- Soil Needs- fertile soil, Dry to medium damp, well-drained
- Require low maintenance
- Extremely robust
- Easy to care for
These plants possess Lush flowers that differ in colors and attract pollinators including, hummingbirds.