How to get rid of spider mites naturally. If you observe yellow, white spots on the plant’s leaves, there might be a chance of a spider mite attack. We are here with natural remedies that get rid of spider mites.
How to get rid of spider mites naturally
These spider mites are harmful to the plants. Once a plant is affected, it may spread to other plants.
Let’s start mitigating the spider mites issue.
Sign and symptoms
Signs of spider mites include;
- Yellow, tan, or white stains on the leaves of the plant
- Small white spots
- Red spots that are mites themselves on the leaves
- White, cottony webbing
- Web underside of the leaves
Isolation of Affected Plant
Once you identify the plant as having spider mites, isolate it from the other healthy plants.
Eliminating Spider Mites Naturally
Apply High-Pressure Water
After isolation, spray the plant’s leaves and stems with pressure water. Spray down the plant as much as possible.
- From the garden hose, apply high-pressure water to the affected plants.
- In this way, all the spider mites with the webs, be washed off.
- Remember using this method will provide a temporary solution.
- Repeat this several times to get rid of them.
- The mites might return to the plant by any means.
- To remove mites permanently and naturally go for other methods.
After isolation, add natural predators to the infected plant. These predators kill the spider mites. Predators include;
- parasitic mites
- Phytoseiulus persimilis
You can purchase it from reputable nurseries.
Select the predators that create no harm to the plant. Avoid adding pesticides. They might kill the beneficial predators.
- Order the biological predators from any marketplace available.
- After that, release them in the infected plant’s pot.
- They will find and eat all the spider mites.
- Daily limit:
- A single predator can consume up to hundreds of mites daily.
- After a couple of days, the plant will be free of spider mites.
Extracts of peppers cause toxicity in spider mites.
Hot Peppers for killing spider mites include;
- Bell peppers
- Cayenne peppers
Peppers that repel spider mites
- Lemon drop peppers
- Bishop’s crown pepper
- Apply the extracts on the infected plant and wait for the results.
- They kill around 45% of the spider mites.
- Apply several times to get rid of them permanently.
Essential Oils Spray
After isolation, add natural essential oils to the infected plant. These oils kill the spider mites.
Essential oils are affected against two-spotted spider mites. They not only kill the adult mites but eliminate the mite’s eggs as well.
Essential oil includes;
- Chamomile oil
- Coriander oil
- Spearmint oil
- rosemary oil
- Neem oil
- spray bottle
- essential oil
- infected plant
- Take an empty spray bottle and fill it with water and a few drops of essential oil. Shake it well.
- (Remember to choose the oil from the above list.)
- After that, spray the solution on the affected plant.
- Leave it for a few days.
- After that, check whether the mites are killed or not.
- Repeat the process if needed.
- The oils kill the spider mites by suffocating them.
How to Prevent Spider Mites
- Inspect the plant before purchasing
- Keep the plants well-watered
- Proper addition of fertilizers
- Keep the garden clean:
- Provide high moisture
- Avoid dry conditions
- Use high-quality soil
- Sterile potting soil
Natural remedies include; essential oil spray, biological predators, high-pressure water, and hot peppers extract. Remember to isolate the infected plant.